Frome Festive Countdown – Ginger biscuits
(Makes about 25 biscuits)
- 350g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter, cut into chunks
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tablespoons of golden syrup
- biscuit cutters
- 2 greased baking trays
And you might also want: icing, sweets or sprinkles for decorating
- Heat your oven to 190 C, 375 F, gas mark 5
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the chunks of butter until they are coated in flour
- Rub the butter into the flour, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Then, stir in the sugar
- Break the egg into a small bowl, add the syrup and stir well with a fork.
- Next stir the egg and syrup mixture into the flour mixture using a wooden spoon. Mix everything well to form a dough.
- On a surface lightly dusted with flour, use your hands to push the dough away from you and fold it in half. Repeat until dough is smooth.
- Sprinkle more flour onto the surface, then roll out the dough until it is 5mm (1/4 inch)thick. Now use your cutter to cut our your preferred shapes.
- Lift the cut out shapes onto the greased baking trays allowing spaces for them to spread. Re-roll any off-cuts and repeat.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Then place on a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Time to get creative with your icing and decorations!
And now you have a batch of festive treats to gift to family or share with neighbours working from home for a co-working cuppa. Make sure you keep a few for yourself as a perfect companion for a relaxing evening!
What will be next on Frome’s Festive Countdown?