St John’s Church
It’s a medieval building on a Saxon site, founded in 685AD by St Aldhelm. This important parish church has a number of unusual and interesting features, including a large stone archway in front of the church, steps leading to a holy well that are over 700 years old, and an underground room with no windows, which was once Frome’s jail.
When the controversial Revd Bennett took over St John the baptist in 1852 it was in a terrible state of disrepair, and he devoted the rest of his life to renovating the church. James Forsyth was engaged between 1860 and 1866 to produce multiple carvings within and without the church.
He carved four statues of saints for the west wall, a pieta and madonna and child for the Lady Chapel, the reredos on the main altar and 18 medallions. These show the miracles on the North wall and the Parables on the South wall inside the church