also Longleat is a stately home with extensive grounds and Britain’s first Safari Park, featured on BBC’s Animal Park.
A trip at Longleat will provide the perfect day out, as well as the opportunity to step back into more than 450 years of history.
The house is widely regarded as one of the best examples of high Elizabethan architecture in Britain. It was completed in 1580 and is now occupied by the 7th Marquess of Bath. This house has also been home to 15 generations of the Thynne family.
Longleat House also features:
- Art collected by 15 generations of the Thynne family
- Guided tours including general house tours, butler, housekeepers and rooftop tours
- Formal gardens first commissioned by the 1st Viscount Weymouth
- Parkland 900 acres of stunning Capability Brown
- Pleasure gardens featuring the Pleasure Walk
- House exhibitions curated to commemorate important events
Longleat is home to over 1000 animals, many of which reside in the Main Square. Here you can also find:
- Jungle Cruise: a journey around Half Mile Lake, escorted by sea lions
- Penguin Island: a happy colony of Humbolt penguins
- Jungle Kingdom: the chance to get close to all sorts of exotic animals
- Adventure Castle: the medieval fortress and adventure playground
- Gorilla Colony: a lakeside retreat providing the perfect habitat for the gorillas
- Animal Adventure: the animal handling hall offers another chance to get close to animals
- Monkey Temple: stroll through and spot monkeys in the trees
- Hedge Maze: one of the biggest hedge mazes in the world, with over two miles of path
- Longleat Railway: climb aboard the Longleat railway for a unique view of the lakeside animals
- Ray Bay: an open air pool where you can see the thornback ray
- The Bat Cave: wander in and see a colony of free flying Egyptian fruit bats
Safari Drive Through
- African Village and Walking Safari: a stroll along the specially designed viewing platform to spot even more animals
- Big Game Park: an impressive herd of southern white rhinos as well as Bactrian camels, scimitar horned oryx, ostriches and Ankole cattle.