Monmouth Chambers

This house sheltered James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, from 28th-30th June, 1685, when Frome people ‘called him King as confidently as if he had the crown on his head’.

Monmouth Chambers dates from around 1600 and is associated with the orange rebellion of the Duke of Monmouth, pretender to the throne of England as the illigitimate son of Charles II by Lucy Walter. After landing at Lyme Regis and being proclaimed king at Taunton, Monmouth stayed there on his way to defeat by John Churchill, the ancestor of Winston Churchill, at Sedgemoor and was subsequent beheaded in July 1685. After years of neglect, Monmouth Chambers was restored by Mrs. D. Brown, M.A., M.B.E., of Bristol, in 1992, assisted by Frome Historic Buildings Trust, Mendip D. C. and English Heritage.